Saturday, December 15, 2007

Preface.

I love to read. That's the main reason I chose to be an English major when I got to college. Throughout my college career, though, I've found that the academic approach to literature is not exactly what I was expecting it to be. I love to read because I like to hear a good story that is written well that makes me view things in a different way and think about how I think about things and expose myself to issues and points of view that I might not normally encounter. This isn't exactly what my classes are teaching me that literature is about, though. More than anything else, I'm learning to dislike literature. I don't like most of the things I have to read, I don't like having to analyze the crap out of any written word I come across, I don't like having to argue and justify and rationalize my opinions to other people in my classes, I don't like feeling stupid if I disagree with someone else's interpretation or opinions or if I don't see the obscure symbolisms that they might find in a book. In my opinion, the purpose of reading should be entertainment and enlightenment. You should read because you like to see what happens in the story and it makes you think and grow and become a better person. That's why I read.

I guess that's the purpose of this site--to bring the love of reading back into my cold, cold heart. I want to keep track of what I read, write about what I think, express my opinions without feeling stupid for what I think or having to defend myself. If anyone else ever reads this, I hope you'll see it as a place to find good books to read, to prompt your own thinking, to express your opinions about what you read, and to come to love literature more. And I don't want anyone (including myself) to ever feel stupid or looked-down-on for what they think. That doesn't feel so good . . . I know. I've had one too many English majors scoff when hearing me express my burning love for Harry Potter. There's nothing wrong with liking--nay, loving--Harry Potter.

No comments: